Friday, May 11, 2007

Jury Duty

Yesterday was another long day. I along with 11 others heard testimony for most of the day on an "operating under the influence" case. It was a basically two different stories of the same event. One from the policeman and one from the accused and his wife. Both sides agreed that the driver was not driving erratically, that he stopped for the stop sign safety, pulled out safely and stopped for the policeman safely. The driver had some "clues"of alcohol in his system and he admitted to having two beers earlier in the day. He was able to follow the policeman's instructions according to the policeman and his speech was not slurred.

I was the foreperson and we voted before starting deliberation in order to see where we stood. Unanimous...end of story. It boiled down to the facts that agreed and body language from the witnesses. The policeman was squirmy and unable to look at the defendent while the defendant was calm and direct. After a long wait of two years for this trial, the defendent was found not guilty. A worthwhile day.

I suspect my body language with God is squirmy! I need to be very honest with Him and more with myself as He knows all. What is, is...He loves me anyway. As Amy Grant sang, "Being good is just a fable. " It is the shed blood of the Lamb that sets me free.

No comments: