Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Civic Duty

Today I spent an 8 hour plus day on the courthouse. I had been selected for jury duty! 150 of us gathered and waited while 7 juries were chosen to be there for the next two weeks. What an interesting mix of people were called. I know that a jury of your peers means just that but it was funny to see how closely the chosen ones resembled the person on trial! We lived in a very poor county and the folks in the room looked the part. The men had to be told to remove their hats in the courtroom. Besides being poorly dressed, dirty, ripped clothing, muddy rubber boots ,sweats and jeans many of them bordered on obese, a problem with the rural poor. The cases to be tried were drinking/drugs and driving, alcohol related domestic abuse and taking undersized lobsters ( a crime in this state.) I felt sorry for the lobster guy. He was representing himself, was poorly dressed for court and probably didn't do this "crime" willfully...good thing I wasn't chosen for that jury. (You are NOT supposed to make up your mind in advance!)

I sometimes feel like I am struggling. But when I go into this type of situation I realize how much God has blessed me and has His hand on my life. I have a wonderful husband. I have enough of worldly goods to feel comfortable and I have a terrific family.

That's why I named this blog , All I have needed, Thy Hand has provided, GREAT is Thy faithfulness...

No comments: